The Esbjerg Performing Arts Centre was completed in 1997 to designs by Jan and Jørn Utzon.
In 1893, Esbjerg became a municipality in its own right (initially known as Esbjerg Ladeplads), receiving the status and privileges of a market town in 1899 and incorporating the parish of Jerne (east of the centre) in 1945.
Established in 1895 by nine local dairies, the butter-packaging factory, Dansk Andels Smørpakkeri, employed some 150 workers until 1920, packing and dispatching butter for the London market.
It was later extended to include egg marketing under the name Dansk Andels Ægeksport.
Over the years, many of the city's visitors have arrived by ferry from Harwich, Essex, England, but this service closed in September 2014 having run since 1875.
The harbour facilities are being expanded to answer the needs of the wind-turbine industry and container shipping traffic.
) is a seaport town and seat of Esbjerg Municipality on the west coast of the Jutland peninsula in southwest Denmark.
By road, it is 71 kilometres (44 mi) west of Kolding and 164 kilometres (102 mi) southwest of Aarhus.
Initial planning of the town was conducted by chartered surveyor H.
Wilkens in 1870 with streets laid out in the form of a rectangular grid.
It is home to the Danish football club Esbjerg f B, who play their home matches at Blue Water Arena, and also has an ice hockey division called Esbjerg Elite Ishockey, which plays at the Granly Hockey Arena.
which had previously been Denmark's most important North Sea port but came under German control after the Second Schleswig War in 1864.
Esbjerg is served by Esbjerg Airport with flights to Aberdeen, Scotland and Stavanger, Norway.